Keep up to date
Soult’s Retail View, the blog from CannyInsights.com’s Graham Soult, is seen as essential reading by many retail professionals, including company executives, store owners, and the press.
Click through to all the latest posts using the links below.
- Amid all the CVAs, there are still plenty of retailers opening bricks-and-mortar storesby Graham Soult on May 9, 2018 at 15:31
It's fair to say that the last couple of months have delivered doom-laden retail headlines of a kind that we probably haven't seen since the collapse of Woolworths. As ever, though, it’s not all bad news in bricks-and-mortar retail - and one retailer's doom is often another's opportunity.
- What’s been happening in the North East’s retail centres? Here’s your round-up of April’s important developmentsby Graham Soult on May 7, 2018 at 19:58
From designer fashion store Psyche opening in Durham to the city's M&S closing, April saw plenty of interesting developments in North East bricks-and-mortar retail. Read the latest updates here, as a sample of what you can find in the May issue of my monthly Soult’s Retail Report.
- Beales opening in Perth shows that the department store isn’t yet deadby Graham Soult on September 13, 2017 at 09:00
The news that Beales is to take over the ex-McEwens department store site in Perth, with an expected opening in November, was a surprise on various levels.
- Checking out the UK debut of Polish fashion retailer Reserved – on London’s Oxford Street and onlineby Graham Soult on September 11, 2017 at 08:51
Polish fashion chain Reserved made its UK debut last week, opening in part of the ex-BHS in London’s Oxford Street at the same time as launching online.
- Darlington town centre has charm galore – so what does it need to do to really thrive?by Graham Soult on August 31, 2017 at 18:19
Already boasting lots of character and a strong retail offer, what does Darlington town centre need to do to retain and enhance its appeal to visitors?
- One year on from the closure of BHS, what has become of the eight North East stores?by Graham Soult on August 28, 2017 at 21:40
Today - 28 August - represents the one-year anniversary of BHS disappearing from the British high street. So what's become of its former North East stores?
- Exclusive: Booths takes first steps into North East with own-label product range in Fenwick Newcastleby Graham Soult on April 25, 2017 at 22:29
Shoppers in the North East can access Booths-branded products for the first time, after a small range appeared in the Food Hall of Fenwick in Newcastle.
- As Pep&Co nears its 100th store – inside Wolverhampton Poundland – what does the future look like for Steinhoff’s value fascias in the UK?by Graham Soult on April 19, 2017 at 14:13
In the last two years, we've seen Poundland-related openings, closures, rebrands and ownership changes. Here's a summary of recent events and future plans.
- Days department store in the ex-BHS in Carmarthen: what we know so farby Graham Soult on March 23, 2017 at 08:41
More details are emerging about the new Days department store concept planned by EWM Group for Carmarthen’s former BHS. So, what do we know so far?
- Decathlon, Aldi, Metro Bank and more: who’s been snapping up ex-BHS space in March?by Graham Soult on March 22, 2017 at 15:07
Decathlon has become the latest retailer to announce that it's taking over ex-BHS space, with its 18,000 sq ft Intu Uxbridge store set to open this summer