This is a list of media appearances by CannyInsights.com’s Graham Soult in 2016, including on TV and radio, and in the press.
Areas of expertise include the changing high street, supermarkets, value retailers, department stores, and brands and marketing.
National television interviews
- BBC News Channel: Live interview from the BBC Newcastle studio, discussing the Tesco/Unilever price dispute (13 October 2016).
Mentions in national press
- The Observer: ‘After BHS closes its doors, what will take its place?’ (28 August 2016).
- Huffington Post: ‘Ikea shoppers in Reading furious after taking several hours to exit its car park’. Embedded tweet (19 July 2016).
- The Telegraph: ‘Questor share tip: B&M is a bargain after rival Poundland limps off the stock market’. Photo credit (13 July 2016).
- BBC News website: ‘Business Live’. Quotes from earlier Radio 5 Live interview regarding Tesco’s Q1 trading results (23 June 2016).
National radio interviews
- BBC Radio 5 Live: Live interview with Adam Parsons on Wake Up To Money, discussing Tesco’s Q1 trading results (23 June 2016, from BBC Newcastle studio).
- BBC Radio Scotland: Live interview about the liquidation of BHS, and the implications for Scotland (3 June 2016, from BBC Radio Merseyside studio).
Mentions in national retail/digital press
- MI Pro: ‘The changing face of band merchandise and what it means for retailers’. Reference to Graham’s advice on window displays (22 July 2016).
- MI Pro: ‘What does Brexit means for MI trading?’ Quotes from panel discussion at MI Expo (17 July 2016).
- MI Pro: ‘Indies can outdo chains when it comes to window displays’. Coverage of Graham’s talk at MI Expo (15 July 2016).
- MI Pro: ‘MI Expo: 5 things we learnt from the show’. Coverage of Graham’s talk at MI Expo (14 July 2016).
- MI Pro: ‘Peavey to launch new 6505 Piranha Micro Head guitar amp at MI Expo’. Mention of upcoming talk (5 July 2016).
- MI Pro: ‘Flashback Records’ Mark Burgess completes MI Expo seminar line-up’. Mention of upcoming talk (22 June 2016).
- MI Pro: ‘Find out why UK dealers are flocking to the MI Expo’. Mention of upcoming talk (13 June 2016).
- Co-operative News: ‘Something old, something new…’ Reaction from Graham to the Co-operative Group’s rebrand, and the reintroduction of the 1960s cloverleaf logo (4 June 2016).
- Co-operative News: ‘Nuneaton Heart of England store closure was ‘justified’, says report’. Photo credit (1 June 2016).
- The Drum: ‘The Co-op reveals rebrand to put it at heart of the community – but can the renewed focus keep it competitive?’ (23 May 2016).
- Marketing Week: ‘5 things that mattered this week’ (29 April 2016).
- Marketing Week: ‘BHS administration proves brands reliant on heritage are vulnerable’ (25 April 2016).
- Retail Week: ‘Data: Top 20 most influential UK retail accounts on Twitter’. Recap of data originally published at Soult’s Retail View (21 March 2016).
- Fresh Produce Journal: ‘Tesco unveils seven new discount brands’. Quoting Soult’s Retail View, which broke the story (21 March 2016).
- Co-operative News: ‘Retail analysis: Member engagement is crucial to co-op department stores’ survival’ (15 March 2016).
Columns written by Graham Soult
- Retail Week: ‘Opinion: How can department stores thrive in modern times?’ (24 October 2016) [behind paywall; also in print version].
- Retail Week: ‘Data: Top 100 most influential UK retail accounts on Twitter’ (17 May 2016) [behind paywall].
North East and other regions
Local radio interviews
- Star Radio (Darlington): Pre-recorded interview about winning the Durham Business Group Champion award, and about championing North East business more generally (15 November 2016, telephone).
- BBC Newcastle: Live interview on whether shops should open on Boxing Day, in light of a petition urging stores to give workers the day off (15 November 2016, telephone).
- BBC Radio Merseyside: Live interview about the reopening of St John’s Market in Liverpool city centre, and the future for markets more generally (7 November 2016, telephone).
- BBC Newcastle: Live interview to discuss the unveiling of the Fenwick Christmas window and Christmas shopping habits (4 November 2016, studio)
- BBC Tees: Live discussion about high-end fashion store Flannels opening in the former BHS in Middlesbrough (2 November 2016, telephone).
- BBC Tees: Live interview about Tesco/Unilever price dispute (13 October 2016, telephone).
- BBC Tees: Live discussion about how Middlesbrough can attract and retain national brands (10 October 2016, telephone).
- BBC Tees: Live discussion about the relaunch of BHS as an online store (29 September 2016, telephone).
- BBC Radio Merseyside: Pre-recorded interview about the rise of bargain shops, following data showing soaring sales (26 August 2016, telephone).
- BBC Radio Merseyside: Pre-recorded interview about the liquidation of BHS, and how it might affect Merseyside (3 June 2016, BBC Liverpool studio).
- BBC Newcastle: Live interview on the collapse of BHS (25 April 2016, studio).
- BBC Tees: Live interview on how independent shops can compete with multiples (21 April 2016, telephone).
- Koast Radio (Ashington): Hour-long retail-related discussion, as part of the weekly business programme (11 April, studio).
Mentions in local/regional press
- Hartlepool Mail: ‘B&M set to move into former BHS store in Hartlepool’. Story originally broken by Soult’s Retail View blog (15 October 2016).
- The Journal: ‘Metrocentre and Eldon Square get 31 new restaurants in huge refurbishments’ (9 February 2016).
- The Journal [online]: ‘Business lunch RECAP: news from The Journal Business team’. Quoted tweet (28 January 2016).
Blogs and podcasts
- Promotion Toolbox: ‘Marmitegate: sales promotion in a fragile economy’ (19 October 2016).
- Sage Blog: ‘Expert Q&A – top retail tips!’ (7 October 2016).
- Spiderworking.com: ‘The benefits of blogging for business: an interview with Graham Soult – Blogcentric Episode 8’ (7 January 2016).