This is a list of appearances in the media by CannyInsights.com’s Graham Soult during 2017, including on radio and TV, and in the press.
Areas of expertise include supermarkets, value retailers, department stores, the changing high street, and brands and marketing.
Mentions in national press
- BBC News website: ‘Retailers ‘left behind’ as consumers change habits’. Comments about how fashion retailers are responding – or not – to the changing ways in which consumers want to shop (3 February 2017).
- The Telegraph: ‘Discount retailer Pep&Co to raise prices to cover loss-making £1 t-shirts’. Photo credit (17 January 2017).
- The Telegraph: ‘Six million Christmas crackers help B&M Bargains to a festive sales bounce’. Photo credit (4 January 2017).
Mentions in national retail/digital press
- Retail Week: ‘BHS one year on – the property fall-out’ (behind paywall). Video discussion featuring Graham, Jonathan De Mello of Harper Dennis Hobbs, and George MacDonald and Luke Tugby of Retail Week, looking at what the ex-BHS stores have become (25 April 2017).
- Retail Week: ‘Philip Day vs Mike Ashley: the department store rivals’ (behind paywall). Draws from this Soult’s Retail View blog post, and includes quotes from Graham about EWM Group’s previous experience in combining its different fascias under one roof (19 April 2017).
- Retail Week: ‘Analysis: Will Poundland’s multi-price punt pay off?’ (behind paywall). Reflections on value fashion chain Pep&Co cohabiting with Poundland, following our visit to one of the new Pep&Co shop-in-shops, in Woolwich, at the end of March (3 April 2017).
North East and other regions
Local radio interviews
- BBC Tees: Live discussion about shopping habits and the role of Aldi and Lidl, in light of Tesco’s latest results released that morning (16 June 2017, telephone).
- BBC Radio Nottingham: Live discussion about the still-extant pre-1999 Argos logo at Intu Broadmarsh in Nottingham – and what outdated fascias tell us about the retailers concerned – as previously blogged about in 2012 (21 April 2017, telephone).
- BBC Tees: Live discussion about out-of-date offers in Tesco, and the ways that supermarket customers shop (13 February 2017, telephone).
- BBC Newcastle: Live interview about Newcastle-based Fenwick closing its store in Leicester and launching an ecommerce site (5 January 2017, telephone).
Mentions in local/regional press
- The Chronicle: ‘Fenwick’s first shopping website can trump rivals with own brands, says retail experts‘ (6 January 2017).
Columns written by Graham Soult
Columns written for Converge cover a wide range of business-related themes, of interest to companies in North East England and beyond.
- Converge: ‘How to make the most of posting content on web platforms’ (2 March 2017).
- Converge: ‘What impact will President Donald Trump have on UK business?’ (5 January 2017).
Blogs and podcasts
- Harry Helmet: ‘Expert Interview Series: Graham Soult of Property & Building Directory About the State of the UK Home Improvement Industry’ (14 March 2017).
- The Kingslodge Inn: ‘The Kingslodge Inn enjoys great attendance at first-ever Durham Business Club breakfast’ (January 2017).